June 25, 2006. 10:30 pm. Three and a half hours after your christening reception in Serye ended and here I am typing my latest blog entry. What else would be my topic for tonight but the events that unfolded in your baptism. This day can very well be one of my most tiring days so far as a mom (my arms ache until now after carrying you for hours…hehe!) and yet it’s also the most fulfilling because I got to share you with our family and closest friends and proudest moment because they got to see how beautiful, healthy and great baby you are.

Did you notice I omitted well-behaved? Well, that’s because for the most part, while in the church, you were just crying! In your defense, you actually had pretty solid reasons for crying. 1) You were sleepy. I stole from you some precious sleeping time since you had to be dressed for the event. 2) Speaking of dress, you were wearing a cream gown that had to feel like sauna for you! It’s made of the same material as barong and considering how mainitin you were as a baby, I couldn’t blame you for crying which I like to think was your way of begging us to take that damn dress off! (Note: It didn’t help also
that Christ the King’s airconditioner wasn’t at all cool!) 3) By this time, you hate being around strangers. The minute you saw your Ninang Dianne, Michelle, Aleta and Carmen, you bawled and wailed and cried! You also weren’t used to being around so many people that’s why you got so cranky. 4) You were hungry! The ceremony was at 4 pm which also coincided with your feeding time. The christening took around 1 hour so sadly my baby, you had to really tiis your hunger that time.
Anyhow, the above reasons explain why your pictures during the ceremony itself and the reception weren’t so good (hehehe). On many pictures, you will find your face all scrunched up and red from crying (while your dad and I are all smiles, seemingly oblivious of your predicament…hehe). It was so hard to appease you that not even I could make you stop crying. It was no surprising though that only your Ingkong was able to make you stop (you really adored him as a baby! Just at the sight of him, you couldn’t help but crack a smile.) The ceremony itself was kinda chaotic because we weren’t really given instructions on what the parents,
ninongs and ninangs should do. So basically, we were all there by your side not knowing what will come next or what we should be doing. For one, even the basic instruction of having all the ninongs and ninangs stand at your back we weren’t able to follow. Your godparents also weren’t holding a candle (we weren’t aware that part of the ceremony was having a candle lit, passing this on from parent to all godparents). And to top it all off, I didn’t bring the hat that comes with your dress (since I thought it was kinda dated and definitely not your style), without knowi
ng that it should be brought because part of the christening is having the priest put the hat over your head. I kinda missed out on the meaning of these symbolisms (since I was busy fanning you and myself, wiping the sweat off our faces and, I hate to admit this, I was also busy posing for the camera *sigh*). So basically, our ignorance on what takes place during baptism was reason why the ceremony for us didn’t at all come out smooth. Just a trivia, I didn’t even know that the a godparent was the one supposed to hold you when you get baptized with the holy water. I was actually excited to be playing thi
s scene with you but sadly, I was mistaken. This was the reason why you’ll find your Ninang Michelle holding you on many of the church pictures.One thing I learned about you from the ceremony and reception is that you prefer being around guys than girls! I swear, when inside the church, I mentioned earlier you instantly cried when you saw your ninangs but when your ninongs walked in (Ninong Amiel, Franco, Ferds and Tienz), you greeted them with a smile! O diba? You were so landi! Hehehe. Because of this your Ninong Ferds couldn’t help but joke that if this carries on until you’re older, your dad and I (especially your dad) will be in big trouble! Hehe.
Come reception time, you were a lot cooler and more in the mood to be around the guests (although not so much still since you would still have your crying spells, but at least after you napped for a while, your guests there got to see you smile and laugh. This was nice even though only a handful was still in the restaurant at that time.) It was good thing you were happier during the reception because we got to take pictures of you with the guests (the only problem area we had at this time was your hair. It was very difficult to manage at that time because your pigtails kept on falling off. Look at your pictures and you will see how gulo your hair was! Your bangs seem to have a mind of their own! Hehe.)

All in all, inspite of all the booboos and chaotic moments, your christening is one event I am happiest about, simply for the following reasons:
- You are finally a Christian! I know, I know basing on how lightly we took the ceremony, we actually weren’t setting a good Christian example for you. But still, I consider your christening that first step towards the attainment of the religious, God-centered life I hope you will lead as a grown-up.
- This was the first time we have displayed to our loved ones the kind of family that we were. It was the first public event for the Ochangco family. It was just so nice that our own family and closest friends got to see us, your daddy and I, be parents. The memory of you, me and your daddy together, enjoying the event was one picture I would always like to remember.
- Our family and closest friends were all there to celebrate your Christianity with us. The thought that we had in one room people who we know genuinely cares for us and only wishes you best is definitely one thought that brings warmth to my heart.
- And above all, this event allowed us to have our family and closest friends experience for themselves the one person responsible for bringing such joy in our lives and having our hearts overflow with such tremendous love – you.
Today, you became an official member of God's family, He whose love for you is the only love that transcends the love your father and I have for you. He now welcomed you in his family, embracing you in his care and security, for now and ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment