Thursday, June 08, 2006

Meet Your Fab Ninangs!

Your Baptism is coming soon. It’s scheduled on June 25, 10 am at Christ the King in Greenmeadows, Quezon City with reception to follow in Serye at Eastwood City. Oh my, your dad and I moved the date so much that I think my college buddies are close to boycotting your party. Hahaha. We cannot seem to settle on a date where all your ninongs and ninangs are available that’s why we had to move it so many times. Anyhow, hopefully June 25 will be the final date na.

This entry will actually be a tribute of some sort to your ninangs. I will document here the reasons why I picked these friends of mine to be your godmother (I’m not really sure I am wise with all my choices since I think they may turn out to be bad influence on you rather than good! Hahaha). But seriously, when I chose them to be your godmothers, I took into consideration how they are as a person and what exactly can they teach you, if they can really offer you guidance as you grow older and be your support when I am not around (or in cases when there are matters you don’t feel comfortable discussing with me).

So, here are bits and pieces of information about your godmothers. Hopefully, reading this will make you feel you know them a little bit better.
Ninang Tegs (Kristine Tegelan)
If there is one girl who I think is my soulmate, it’s your Ninang Tegs. I have known her just 6 years as of this writing and yet it feels like we’ve been friends like since forever. This girl instantly knows what I think or how I feel even without me saying anything and even without her even seeing me! (She is working now in Singapore and yet everytime I’m feeling down and out, I get a phone call from her – to think she didn’t even have any idea what I was going through at that time!) This girl knows the meaning of a true friend. Heck, I even think she invented the concept of friendship! Haha. That’s how good a friend she is and that’s definitely a trait I hope she can pass on to you. This girl is very loyal, loving, trustworthy, sensitive. When you tell her a secret, for sure she’ll never breathe a word to anyone about it. She’s very wise. She gives the greatest advices, very mature beyond her age. When I seek her for an advice, I feel like I am talking to a psychiatrist. She’s such a good listener. She always knows when to talk and when to shut up. She is very appropriately mannered, meaning she always knows how to act or behave in specific situations. She is very independent. Once she sets her heart on something, for sure she’ll work towards that goal (although I’m not sure if this is applicable to a certain guy in her life…hahaha!). She is a beach lover (I can just imagine her still wearing a two piece even 20 years from now! Hahaha. That’s how groovy I think she is!) She is also such a fashionista – a woman of class and sophistication. She can make a P100 shirt look like designer labeled. So, if you need a beach partner, shopping partner or advice on what to wear or how to look good or advice on just about anything, your Ninang Tegs is the way to go!
Ninang Dianne (Dianne Nunez)
If there is one word to describe this girl, it’s NICE (nice but can still be bitchy… good bitchy that is dahil laitera din yan! hehe) She’s your all around nice girl, very wholesome, very family-oriented. She is always very proper, never impulsive, always thinks things through a gazillion times before doing anything. When it comes to guys, she is also by the book, very Maria Clara in her ways which some may misinterpret as pakipot, but for me I see it as non-aggressive (which I believe how all ladies should act around guys). She is wholesome, rarely did I see her drink alcohol and party like crazy! She’s never the bar-hopping kind of gal. She’s more like the country club kind who prefers having quiet dinner with friends than out drinking or dancing like crazy in some bar or party. She adores her family, always makes sure she spends quality time with them. Her sisters are her best friends. She is also very talented, very artsy. She’s into painting, interior design, photography, accessories making - very creative indeed. And she is one terrific cook also! We were roommates in Chicago for a year and she was our official cook. She is the kind of person who will always go out of her way for a friend (although watch out, if you’re a minute late for a date with her, nakakahiya sa kanya! This ninang of yours strictly follows military time! Haha). She is also one terrific shopper, her style is classic, preppy and she has a knack for finding one-of-a-kind shops or places. So, if you need creative influence, safe advices about relationships and life (basically, one who will bring you back to reality when you are all giddy about love or any sort of experiences), good conversation over coffee or a meal, your Ninang Dianne is the way to go!

Ninang Lhot (Lhot Aguilar)
This girl is one strong woman. Even when faced with all sorts of adversities (be it related to her work, family, lovelife), she exhibits such strength that is truly admirable. You cannot even tell that she is going through such trials because inspite of it all, she remains wacky, funny and crazy! I regard her to be truly a fighter. She is very responsible and loving most especially to her family. She’ll move heaven and earth for them, with their well being never far from her mind. I always tell her she’s mature beyond her years that probably may be brought by her experiences in life. She is very street smart, used to handling hard situations and still remains unbroken. She is so selfless, always putting her family’s needs ahead of her own. The first time I think that for me she did something truly for herself was when she followed her heart and decided to migrate to Spain to be with her now husband. Oh my sweetie, if you want to hear one great love story, have your Ninang Lhot tell you hers. Hearing her story I think will only reinstate your belief in love. And did I mention that this girl also has tremendous faith in God, that I think ultimately the source of her strength. I always admire in her that she carries such strong devotion and this definitely I hope a trait she can pass on to you. So if you need a teacher about life’s hardships and how to survive them without yourself and your faith broken, your Ninang Lhot is the way to go! (I am not sure though how visible she will be in your life since she’s based in Spain but I do hope during her vacation here, you’ll still get to spend time with her. Or baka, she can give you a free ticket to Spain as gift! Hahaha.)
Ninang Aleta (Aleta Yao)
One word to describe this ninang of yours is social. For a girl who is so sabog, who never seems to get her things or organizer organized, she still can somehow successfully juggle so many activities and fit everything she wants to do in her schedule. She imbibes best, I think, the saying work hard but party harder! She may have resigned from several companies (too many to count and keep track of), but I still say she sure works hard (with marketing, I believe, as her niche). And even with work, she still has time to go out and have fun with her friends. She is never afraid to try new things, widen her horizon, which I think I explain why she is very active and has several circle of friends. She puts herself out there, not fearing the unknown, living her life to the fullest and just extracting as much fun as she can from any experience. And should you find yourself in the future (like when your 40 years old na! haha) in love with a Filipino guy (given that your dad is still against you having relationship with one), you certainly can run to your Ninang Aleta for advice. She has had experiences with Romeo and Juliet-like love story so you can learn a thing or two from her (just not how to sneak out ha!). I believe she found herself in numerous cases when she has to decide between following her heart and following her head. So, I say if you find yourself in this non-Chinese guy predicament, your Ninang Aleta is definitely the expert in this area!
Ninang Michelle (Michelle Uy)
Fun, boisterous, what-you-see-is-what-you-get, strong, businesswoman, independent, smart, “palaban” - these are just some of the words that come to mind when I think of your Ninang Michelle. Among my friends, she is your daddy’s favorite. Why? Because, as in your dad’s words, she is very smart, practical, uses her head and not her heart. Hmmm…there may be cases when she faltered and used her heart, but most of the time (hehe) she truly is one wise girl. She knows what she wants and she’s not afraid to go after it. She lives her life the way she wants to live it and by no means, nobody can make her do otherwise. She may be seen as hard-headed or stubborn that way but that’s the thing, she just knows what she wants and she just won’t let anything compromise them (not even her future husband…hehe). She’s got great business sense, having run their family business shortly after graduation. Definitely, should you one day take over your daddy’s business, you will need advice from your Ninang Michelle. This ninang of yours is also really “palaban”, will never back down on anyone (kahit sino makaaway nito, kaya niya paiyakin! haha ). She is also very frank, never afraid to express her opinion, speak her mind. So, let’s say you really want to know how you look, you should go to her for she will only tell you the real thing. That’s your Ninang Michelle, she is the real deal through and through, regardless of who’s she with or where she is. So, if you want a lesson on how to love and accept yourself, how to have no insecurities, how to put up a good fight against anyone who says things about you, run to your Ninang Michelle. She can definitely teach you how to stand for yourself and fight the fight (in the most gracious way of course!).

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Love! That is so endearing... you described us perfectly! Well, I'm hoping that we live up to your testimonials. But more than that, I wish I can be close to Bea as a true guardian so you better bring her close to her ninangs!

Lovella said...

Thanks Dianne! I am glad you liked and approved what I wrote. And for sure, Bea will get to know her ninangs. I will definitely make you a part of her life as much as I would like her to be part of yours. :D