Friday, September 15, 2006

My Love Affair with Mr. A


(Picture: At Club V with Leng, Tegs and Gwenny during one of their hiphop party nights.)
Alcohol. It is of utmost importance that I write about this topic because at one point in your life you will come across this temptation and when that time comes I hope the consequences of drinking are already drilled into your head. Now, I believe I have the credibility to write about this considering my love affair with alcohol, although I like to stress that as you read along, do not mistake me to be an alcoholic (hehe). I might come across to be as such, but I really wasn’t. I was just a young fool who equated fun with alcohol, such that to have fun is to drink and get wasted. (Tsktsktsk...I wish I could have known better. I could have saved myself from severe headaches and embarrassment!)

Drinking can cause adverse allergic reactions, embarrassment and not to mention degrade mathematical skills!March 1997. This was my first memory of getting drunk. It was during our year end block party that I had my first shots of tequila. People might think being it was my first time to ever drink, I would have been a little shy towards trying out the different drinks presented to me by my blockmates. Ha! How everyone, and myself included, was mistaken! Imagine, I managed to drink 13 shots of tequila before completely forgetting what happened after. I was told by someone that I kept on saying “13! 13th shot of tequila!” when in fact, from her counting, I was already on my 17th shot (and I think it was only after that I stopped as I was already completely wasted!). As to be expected, the following Monday, people were talking about the party and it sure wasn’t fun hearing embarrassing stories about you told to others over and over again (the story about me was my very “smart” counting of tequila shots and struggle to remain upright!). And for one week, I had to suffer from severe rashes on my arms and body, which I was told to be a bad reaction from alcohol. I could still remember itching myself through my classes. I really wasn’t a pretty sight back then!

Alcohol has the worst taste and drinking it can drive you to perform crazy stunts that can never be undone and can only cause regrets after.
Summer 1997. This was my second memory of getting drunk. It was during my first visit to Boracay, together with my siblings and friends. I have shared with my siblings my supreme tolerance to alcohol (as I experienced in our block party) and so they decided to put it to test by making me participate in the “Still Standing after 15!” gimik of the Cocomanggas bar where I had to drink 15 shots of different concoctions. The taste of some was so bad that it seemed I was drinking gasoline! Feeling ko that time lumululon ako ng apoy! Hehehe. But despite the taste, I was still able to down 8 shots! After the 8th shot, wala na, I went wild! Good thing your Tita Lori was drunk too so I wasn’t alone being a fool. We went dancing on top of the table and even came close to climbing on to the billiard table to dance ourselves crazy! And, to make matters worse, I even vomited outside the bar! Kadiri noh? And the craziness doesn’t stop there. Back in the hotel, too drunk to think straight, I thought I was Donita Rose of MTV and kept on introducing videos to my siblings the whole night! Haaay…naloka sa alcohol…hehe.

Looking back, we may not know the people who witnessed our craziness that time, but just thinking what they must have thought of us, “wild”, party-crazy girls with no care in the world, is enough to make me cringe. And what if someone I knew just happened to see that??! I could only imagine what that would do to my reputation (hehehe…feeling popular!). People would definitely start seeing me in a bad light and might even take advantage, you know? Alcohol could really bring the worst out of anyone and this is definitely not something you would want displayed in public.

Alcohol puts friendships to test. And worst of all, can put your health in danger!My friends from office have witnessed my drunken state so many times and even had to take care of me half of those times that it is surprising they are still my friends (hehe). The one night I was on my worst state I believe was after drinking so may shots of this “Boy Bastos” drink in a Makati bar. I already forgot the name of the bar and what that drink was made out of but I could still remember vividly how bratty and kulit I was that night! The minute my friends helped me get out of the bar until the following morning, I must have been their worst nightmare! Since we were all too drunk to go home, we just decided to sleep over a friend’s place in JP Rizal. On the way there, I was seated at the backseat and from there, I decided I wanted to drive and kept on trying to shift gears! My guy friend who was driving at the time must have been close to punching me to knock me unconscious since I could easily cause us to get into an accident! Good thing he was patient…hehe! And the bratty Lovella strikes again when the minute we were inside my friend’s place, I started shouting “Let’s go check-in a hotel! I don’t want to sleep here! I’ll use my credit card! Promise, I’ll pay! Come on, let’s go check-in a hotel!”. O diba?! Good thing my friend who owned the place was nice at di nya ako binatukan! Hehe. She was also the one who took care of me, assisted me in the bathroom (buti di ako nilunod sa toilet bowl! Hehe) and even went to get moisturizer for me! (imagine, even with my kalasingan, I was still able to put on moisturizer! I told my friend, “I need my moisturizer! I can’t sleep without it!” Naku, at that point ewan ko lang kung bakit di pa ako sinabunutan ng friend ko! Hehe)

And while I was being my bratty, maldita self, my other friend on the other hand was having an adverse reaction to alcohol. Her hands were naninigas and had to be taken to the doctor. It appeared she had a mild form of alcohol poisoning. That “Boy Bastos” drink must have different types of alcohol that when combined and taken could cause certain parts of the body to malfunction. That was actually scary for me and if I remember correctly, that night was the last time I drunk “Boy Bastos”.
While drinking you may feel happy and light, with problems far from your mind. But once the effect of alcohol wears off, you wake up with the same problems only this time with a splitting headache and crappy personality.
My friends and I frequented Tagaytay for parties and chilling. There was one Tagaytay trip though that I would never forget. This was during a weekend when we were supposed to watch a meteor shower in the San Miguel training center and the first night actually we spent partying in a friend’s house. And as usual, what else did I do but drink, drink, drink! But this night was different from my other nights of partying because I got adventurous and tried all drinks available: vodka, mudslide, beer, goldschlagger, tequila. Any drinker would know that a rule of thumb in drinking is never drink different kinds of alcohol in one night, stick to one kind because otherwise you would be looking at the worst hangover in the morning. And was this so correct because the following morning, I woke up with the worst headache ever and vomiting all over! My hangover was so bad that on our way to the San Miguel training center, I was close to asking my friends to bring me to the hospital so I could get my stomach pumped! By that time, I was so tired of vomiting already (my puke actually has goldschlagger’s gold flecks in it. Kadiri!)! But good thing once I was able to throw up all my stomach’s contents and got some sleep and drank a couple of paracetamol, I felt human again.

Tolerating so many drinks of alcohol is not one feat your parents will be proud of. Seeing their child drunk will bring turmoil of emotions within them, not least of which is DISAPPOINTMENT.
Azzuri of Il Ponticello. Among the many drinks I drunk, this I think was my favorite. It wasn't as bitter as other alcohol and its effect on me was nothing short of a happy high. This was one drink I would drink on and on without that feeling of dizziness, with every shot my laughter only becomes louder and my spirits higher. This was also the same drink that caused me to be too drunk to remember how I got off my friend's car and walked inside our house, directly to my room. I literally blacked out and just remembered myself in the bathroom, by the toilet bowl vomiting my heart out! And guess who walked in my bathroom that instant? Your Loli Onggay! Even if I wasn't completely conscious then, I could actually feel her disapproval. Not see it on her face, but I actually felt it. But like any good mother, instead of scolding me right then and there, she just helped me get up and dressed me in pajamas. But I knew she too was also thinking the same thing my dad thought a minute later when he walked in my room. By then I could be found groping my way to my bed. He didn't say much except ask me this question: "What are you doing with your life?" At that time, too drunk to think straight, I shooed my own father away, telling him off with the statement "Daddy, pwede ba bukas na!". That was my first memory ever of being disrepectful to your ingkong. I knew that was the first time my parents questioned if they brought me up well.
Oh well, I think I have pretty much exhausted this topic (hehe, by now most likely you're all duling na from reading this looooooog entry). So there. I do hope you appreciate my stories and think of them the minute you get hold of an alcohol. Stick to Zesto na lang sweetie, ok? :D

1 comment:

Leng said...

Ako un! Naku, bea. I will never forget that time when my friends crashed in at my tiny apartment. Imagine, nagkasya kami doon! At ang mom mo, talagang nag-pajama pa and all despite sa kalasingan nya! Riot talaga ang night na yon! Those were the days! I miss you, Lube!